Re: SQL/MED - core functionality

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: SQL/MED - core functionality
Дата
Re: SQL/MED - core functionality  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 09:03 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Answering a few of your questions

Many thanks.

> > 7. Why does ANALYZE skip foreign tables? Surely its really important we
> > know things about a foreign table, otherwise we are going to optimize
> > things very badly.
>
> Quite apart from other reasons, such as possible ephemerality of the
> data, the difficulty of taking a reasonable random sample from an
> arbitrary foreign data source seems substantial, and we surely don't
> want ANALYSE to have to run a full sequential scan of a foreign data source.

I think we need something that estimates the size of a table, at least,
otherwise queries will be completely un-optimised.

> > 10. Can a foreign table be referenced by a FK?
>
> I don't see how it can be. There would be no unique index to use.

That answers another question also.

Still many unanswered.

-- Simon Riggs           http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services

От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: How much do the hint bits help?
Сообщение: Re: How much do the hint bits help?