Re: Autoincremental value

От adburne@asocmedrosario.com.ar
Тема Re: Autoincremental value
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Estimado Harald,

Con fecha sábado 14 de agosto de 2004, 10.26.25, escribió:

HF> Even MySQL disallows that - unless you use the MyISAM backend.  The
HF> only time when I used this ugly hack was when I looked for a
HF> workaround to the missing subselects.

HF> Perhaps you should describe what you're trying to achieve.  I'm pretty
HF> sure PostgreSQL has an elegant solution for that.

First, thanks for all your answers again; second my natural language
is spanish maybe some 'mistakes expressions'.

It's true mixed autoincremental only works on mysql with myisam tables,
but it's a simple way to do what I need at this moment. This is my
situation:

I've a header and a details tables.
There some users who create header records and about 75 who fill the
details table. The header has around 50,000 records and details around
50,000,000.
Often the clients need edit details records, the header record it's in
the app's memory; the client just insert the sequence like '517',
edit this, save and type '124'; edit the other, save....
If I use a serial the user must write '49167842', edit, save; enter
'49160564', save, etc.
Seems to be very simple, but for it's not the same to write 3 digits
than 8.

---
Greetings,
 adburne