Re: explaining "context" column of pg_settings

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: explaining "context" column of pg_settings
Дата
Re: explaining "context" column of pg_settings
Список pgsql-docs
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of jue dic 16 21:11:49 -0300 2010:
> Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've put together a patch to help document these values based on the
> > comments in guc.h, the explanations in [2], and my own understanding.
> > My crude explanations could probably use some further wordsmithing and
> > check for accuracy :-)
>
> I did some work on this patch and attach an updated version.  I'm not
> however convinced that it's a good idea to bury this material in
> catalogs.sgml --- I think few people ever read that chapter.  Shouldn't
> we put this into config.sgml instead, somewhere in section 18.1?

Perhaps we can replace the current "this setting requires a restart"
boilerplate with "this setting has context foo" in setting descriptions,
and have a pointer to wherever the description of each context is.