Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 10:39 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Perhaps a more useful definition would be
>
> EXCHANGE TABLE target WITH source;
>
> which just swaps the heap and indexes of each table.
> You can then use TRUNCATE if you want to actually destroy data.

Yes please, that's exactly what I would have needed in many occasions.

But one problem would be when the replaced table is the _parent_ for a
foreign key relationship. I don't think you can have that constraint
pre-verified on the replacement table and simply replacing the content
could leave the child relations with orphans.

Cheers,
Csaba.