Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH

От Csaba Nagy
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 14:36 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Well, you have to do that for DROP TABLE as well, and I don't see any
> > way around doing it for REPLACE WITH.
>
> Sure, but in Simon's proposal you can load the data FIRST and then
> take a lock just long enough to do the swap.  That's very different
> from needing to hold the lock during the whole data load.

Except Simon's original proposal has this line in it:

* "new_table" is TRUNCATEd.

I guess Simon mixed up "new_table" and "old_table", and the one which
should get truncated is the replaced one and not the replacement,
otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, I would have also used such a feature on multiple occasions in the
past and expect I would do in the future too.

Cheers,
Csaba.