Re: initdb failure with Postgres 8.4.4

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: initdb failure with Postgres 8.4.4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from BRUSSER Michael's message of lun dic 13 12:34:49 -0300 2010:

> I'm not sure if our current approach would work with v8.4. This is what we do in the nutshell:
> - build Postgres
> - do not run install
> - collect all generated libraries, executables and input files and pack them along with other app
> - distribute the tar-ball to the customer
> - untar and install the app
>     the installation script at some point calls initdb, create database, createlang, create user,
>     it creates config files... done.

I think this procedure needs to be fixed.  It should be:
- build Postgres
- install
- collect the files, pack
- distribute
- unpack to the destination directory

Since our packaging is (supposed to be) relocatable, you can install in
the customer's machine at a different destination directory, and it
should work.  If it doesn't, report it as a bug.