Re: Patch: psql \whoami option

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
David Christensen <david@endpoint.com> writes:
> machack:machack:5432=# \c "foo""bar"
> You are now connected to database "foo"bar".

What this is reflecting is that backslash commands have their own weird
rules for processing double quotes.  What I was concerned about was that
double quotes in SQL are normally used for protecting mixed case, and
you don't need that for \c:

regression=# create database "FooBar";
CREATE DATABASE
regression=# \c foobar
FATAL:  database "foobar" does not exist
Previous connection kept
regression=# \c FooBar
You are now connected to database "FooBar".
FooBar=#

The fact that there are double quotes around the database name in the
"You are now connected..." message is *not* meant to imply that that is
a valid double-quoted SQL identifier, either.  It's just an artifact of
how we set off names in English-language message style.  In another
language it might look like <<FooBar>> or some such.

My opinion remains that you should just print the user and database
names as-is, without trying to inject any quoting into the mix.  You're
more likely to confuse people than help them if you do that.

Сообщение: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option
Сообщение: Re: Patch: psql \whoami option