Use for loop in stored procedure to join query results

От rchowdhury
Тема Use for loop in stored procedure to join query results
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello,

I have a table similar to the following:

id   probe   value
1   asdf   10
1   qwer   20
1   zxcv   30
2   asdf   40
2   qwer   50
2   zxcv   60

I would like to create a stored procedure or function that will make a view
with the data as follows:

           1     2
asdf    10   40
qwer   20   50
zxcv   30   60

Does anyone know how to do this?  I am attempting to make a stored procedure
that...
1. SELECT all distinct "id"s
2. FOR LOOP to iterate over each "id", SELECT probe, value  WHERE
id=<current id>
3. JOIN resulting table to table from previous iteration of the FOR loop

Unfortunately, I am not sure if this is a good way to do this.  And I am not
familiar with stored procedure syntax.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
RC