Re: Unicode support

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Unicode support
Дата
Re: Unicode support  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> What's really at issue is "what is a string?". That is, it a sequence
> of characters or a sequence of code points. If it's the former then we
> would also have to prohibit certain strings such as U&'\0301'
> entirely. And we have to make substr() pick out the right number of
> code points, etc.

Another question is "what is the purpose of a database"?  To me it would
be quite the wrong thing for the DB to not store what is presented, as
long as it's considered legal.  Normalization of legal variant forms
seems pretty questionable.  So I'm with the camp that says this is the
application's responsibility.