Re: unlogged tables

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: unlogged tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 00:08 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tis, 2010-11-16 at 14:00 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > It seems to me
> > that most people using unlogged tables won't want to back them up ...
> > especially since the share lock for pgdump will add overhead for the
> > kinds of high-volume updates people want to do with unlogged tables.
>
> Or perhaps most people will want them backed up, because them being
> unlogged the backup is the only way to get them back in case of a crash?

To me, the use of unlogged tables is going to be for dynamic, volatile
data that can be rebuilt from an integrity set on a crash. Session
tables, metadata tables, dynamic updates that are batched to logged
tables every 10 minutes, that type of thing.

I think Berkus has a good idea on asking general.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor