Re: multiple sql update w/ major time issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: multiple sql update w/ major time issues
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
iu_23@hotmail.com (Dawn) writes:
> I have a sql update statement that is dealing with hundreds of
> thousands of records.  It takes hours and hours to complete (if it
> does complete and not take down the server).

No wonder, if you write it like that.  You're forcing a fresh select
from gl_totals for each row of aud_member_ext_attributes; then you're
doing it again for each UPDATE command.

If you were using Postgres (which I surmise you are not, because it
doesn't accept aliases in UPDATE) you could do

update aud_member_ext_attributes
setEXTVALUE217 = gl_totals.MTD,EXTVALUE223 = gl_totals.YTD,EXTVALUE229 = gl_totals.R12
where gl_totals.category = 'tankrent' and gl_totals.CUST_NO = EXTVALUE101 and gl_totals.DIST_NO = EXTVALUE102 and
gl_totals.SUB_NO= EXTVALUE105 and gl_totals.FUEL_TYPE = EXTVALUE123;

        regards, tom lane