Re: Simplifying replication

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Simplifying replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 18:02 +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> > To make pg_basebackup.py self-sufficient it should also open 2nd
> > connection to the same master and make sure that all WAL files are
> > copied for the duration of base copy.
>
> Excellent idea, will make that happen soon'ish.

Unitil I learned better, I thought that this is how SR is supposed to works ;)

btw, as next step you could backport this to 8.x and have most of the
benefits of SR. It should not be very hard to keep track of wal position
inside a pl/pythonu function and send one or more records back in form of

(walfile_name text, start_pos int, data bytea)

and then call this function from client every second to keep possible data
loss down to 1 sec.

this lets you set up warm standby with nothing more than a postgresql
superuser access to master (assuming right defaults in postgresql conf).

--
-------
Hannu Krosing