Re: Serializable snapshot isolation patch

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Serializable snapshot isolation patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 10:29 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Basically, when we already have a pivot, but no transaction has yet
> committed, we wait to see if TN commits first.  If so, we have a
> problem; if not, we don't.  There's probably some room for improving
> performance by cancelling T0 or T1 instead of TN, at least some of
> the time; but in this pass we are always cancelling the transaction
> in whose process we detect the need to cancel something.

Well, in this case we do clearly have a problem, because the result is
not equal to the serial execution of the transactions in either order.

So the question is: at what point is the logic wrong? It's either: 1. PreCommit_CheckForSerializationFailure() is
missinga failure case. 2. The state prior to entering that function (which I believe I

sufficiently described) is wrong.

If it's (2), then what should the state look like, and how is the GiST
code supposed to result in that state?

I know some of these questions are answered in the relevant research,
but I'd like to discuss this concrete example specifically.

Regards,Jeff Davis

Сообщение: Re: Domains versus arrays versus typmods
Сообщение: Re: Domains versus arrays versus typmods