Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Дата
Re: Extensions, this time with a patch  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Dimitri Fontaine's message of mié oct 13 18:11:21 -0300 2010:

> I like both ideas. I'd like to propose that we get back to this part of
> the feature later, after the first patch is in. After all, the main goal
> is to support dump&restore of extensions. Let's do that first.

Okay.  I looked at the code and I have to admit that it seems awkward to
have pg_dump left-joining everything against pg_depend and checking for
NULLs.  I wondered if there was a simpler way to go about it, perhaps
using EXCEPT?  No specific proposal though.
> If some of you are interested, the development happens here:
>   http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql-extension.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/extension

Thanks.  I managed to retrieve into an already-checked-out copy of HEAD
and it worked pretty well:git remote add extensions git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql-extension.gitgit fetch
extensionsextension:extension

then I could run "git diff master...extension" and see the complete
diff.  Of course, I can also see each commit individually.  Or
"git checkout extension".

Maybe it would be worthwhile to split the parts that parse a file and
execute from a file, and submit separately.  It is obviously
self-contained and serves a useful purpose on its own.  It also forces
you to think harder about renaming the parse function :-)