Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:41 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> Much of the engineering we are doing centers around use cases that are
> considerably more complex than what most people will do in real life.

Why are we doing it then?

What I have proposed behaves identically to Oracle Maximum Availability
mode. Though I have extended it with per-transaction settings and have
been able to achieve that with fewer parameters as well. Most
importantly, those settings need not change following failover.

The proposed "standby.conf" registration scheme is *stricter* than
Oracle's Maximum Availability mode, yet uses an almost identical
parameter framework. The behaviour is not useful for the majority of
production databases.

Requesting sync against *all* standbys is stricter even than the highest
level of Oracle: Maximum Protection. Why do we think we need a level of
strictness higher than Oracle's maximum level? And in the first release?

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services