Re: exclude constraints with same name?

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: exclude constraints with same name?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 19:05 -0400, A.M. wrote:
> I found some surprising behavior with the new EXCLUDE constraint in
> 9.0.0- it seems that EXCLUDE constraint names have to be unique across
> tables:

That's consistent with UNIQUE constraints. It has to do with whether the
constraint is enforced by an index -- UNIQUE and EXCLUDE are both
enforced by indexes, and CHECK is not.

postgres=# create table a(i int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table b(i int);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# alter table a add constraint c1 unique(i);
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD UNIQUE will create implicit index "c1" for
table "a"
ALTER TABLE
postgres=# alter table b add constraint c1 unique(i);
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD UNIQUE will create implicit index "c1" for
table "b"
ERROR:  relation "c1" already exists

I can see how that would be a little confusing, however.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis