Re: Configuring synchronous replication

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 13:00 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> > I mean really?
> >
> > ALTER CLUSTER ENABLE [SYNC] REPLICATION ON db.foobar.com PORT 5432 ALIAS
> > CRITICAL;
> > ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL RECEIVE FOR 2;
> > ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL FSYNC FOR 2;
> > ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL REPLAY FOR 2;
> >
> > Or some such thing. I saw Heiiki's reply but really the idea that we are
> > shoving this all into the postgresql.conf is cumbersome.
>
> I think it should be a separate config file, and I think it should be
> a config file that can be edited using DDL commands as you propose.
> But it CAN'T be a system catalog, because, among other problems, that
> rules out cascading slaves, which are a feature a lot of people
> probably want to eventually have.

I guarantee you there is a way around the cascade slave problem.

I believe there will be "some" postgresql.conf pollution. I don't see
any other way around that but the conf should be limited to things that
literally have to be expressed in a conf for specific static purposes.

I was talking with Bruce on Jabber and one of his concerns with my
approach is "polluting the SQL space for non-admins". I certainly
appreciate that my solution puts code in more places and that it may be
more of a burden for the hackers.

However, we aren't building this for hackers. Most hackers don't even
use the product. We are building it for our community, which are by far
user space developers and dbas.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--