Re: Configuring synchronous replication

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 17:43 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> So...
>
> sync_rep_services = {critical: recv=2, fsync=2, replay=1;
>                      important: fsync=3;
>                      reporting: recv=2, apply=1}
>
> becomes ...
>
> sync_rep_services.critical.recv = 2
> sync_rep_services.critical.fsync = 2
> sync_rep_services.critical.replay = 2
> sync_rep_services.important.fsync = 3
> sync_rep_services.reporting.recv = 2
> sync_rep_services.reporting.apply = 1
>
> I actually started to give this example to demonstrate how cumbersome
> it would look... but now that I've just typed it out, I've changed my
> mind.  I actually like it!

With respect, this is ugly. Very ugly. Why do we insist on cryptic
parameters within a config file which should be set within the database
by a super user.

I mean really?

ALTER CLUSTER ENABLE [SYNC] REPLICATION ON db.foobar.com PORT 5432 ALIAS
CRITICAL;
ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL RECEIVE FOR 2;
ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL FSYNC FOR 2;
ALTER CLUSTER SET REPLICATION CRITICAL REPLAY FOR 2;

Or some such thing. I saw Heiiki's reply but really the idea that we are
shoving this all into the postgresql.conf is cumbersome.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor