Re: Return of the Solaris vacuum polling problem -- anyone remember this?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Return of the Solaris vacuum polling problem -- anyone remember this?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of dom ago 22 12:51:47 -0400 2010:

> Well, the reason that value is 200 million is for pg_clog cleanup, not
> for xid wraparound protection.  The next sentence does relate to xid
> wraparound, but it seems to fit because the previous sentence ends with
> xid wraparound:
>
>     Note that the system will launch autovacuum processes to
>     prevent wraparound even when autovacuum is otherwise disabled.
>
> If we were worried about just xid wraparound I assume the value would be
> 2 billion.
>
> Do you have a suggestion?  Reorder the items?

I'd add another para before that one saying that this value "also"
affects pg_clog truncation.  I agree that putting pg_clog truncation as
the first item here is not an improvement.  For most people, having
those pg_clog files there or not is going to be a wash, compared to data
size.