Re: SHOW TABLES

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 10:23 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 02:12:19PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > > 1.  \d isn't exactly the most intuitive thing ever
> >
> > Seems fairly mnemomic to me (d=describe) and it packs a
> > *lot* of information into a single letter (see below).
> > Things that are done often should have short keystrokes,
> > and not require learning Yet Another Meta-Language.
> >
> > > And it's pretty clear that we have been heading into some
> > > increasingly cryptic bits of fruit salad of
> > > \dfzb+-meta-bucky-alt-foo
> >
> > No arguments there, but that's the nature of the beast. I don't
> > think it's as bad as is made out, however, as \d covers 99% of
> > everyday usage and certainly the "show tables" that started
> > this thread.
>
> It covers 0% of cases where people are not using psql.

Which is probably 85% of our users. (No I have no actual metric)

Every single corp I have walked into is using at least PgAdmin as well.

Until this project as a whole recognizes that for the majority to the
populace the command line is dead; we will continue to have these
arguments for no apparent reason but to make sure spam filters are still
reading our emails.

JD

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor