Re: SHOW TABLES

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 12:25 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 12:16 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Really?  What are the other syntaxes?
> >
> > SHOW TABLES
>
> That is MySQL?  Do does every other RDBMs also use that, as David
> suggested?

He didn't say it was exactly that syntax. We must retain some common
sense in the discussion.

DB2 uses LIST TABLES
SQLServer and Sybase use sp_ procedures for this
Informix uses INFO TABLES
Ingres uses HELP and HELP TABLE foo
Teradata uses SHOW TABLE foo but no syntax meaning "all tables"

So I think David's actual response was appropriate and accurate: its a
common thing to have easily guessable commands for this.

Search Google for "<myfavouriteDBMS> SHOW TABLES" and you'll see that a
lot of people look for and expect this kind of command to exist.

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services