Re: SHOW TABLES

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 19:02 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > I imagined that we would do something similar to EXPLAIN, a set of text
> > rows returned.
>
> Wouldn't that be useless for the case when an app wants to use it? An
> app will require it to be structured somehow.
>
> There's a reason we made EXPLAIN output data structured now. But I
> guess you could define an XML/JSON schema and return it in that...

The proposed goal is simplicity, not to be all things to all men.

Anybody that wants structured output can
i) write that as a future patch
ii) write SQL to retrieve exactly what they want (preferred)

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services