Re: Per-column collation, proof of concept

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Per-column collation, proof of concept
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2010-07-14 at 19:35 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I have only one question - If I understand well you can use collate
> just for sort. What is your plan for range search operation?

My patch does range searches.  Sorting uses the same operators, so both
will be supported.  (Sorting is not yet implemented, as I had written.)

> Sort is
> interesting and I am sure important for multilangual applications, for
> me - more important is case sensitive, case insensitive, accent
> sensitive, insensitive filtering - do you have a plan for it?

You may be able to do some of these by using appropriate locale
definitions.  I'd need some examples to be able to tell for sure.

> what about DISTINCT clause, maybe GROUP BY clause ?

DISTINCT and GROUP BY work with equality, which is not affected by
locales (at least under the current rules).