Re: Is difference between PostgreSQL and mySQL licences for client application minor only

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is difference between PostgreSQL and mySQL licences for client application minor only
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Andrus" <eetasoft@online.ee> writes:
> I created closed source Postgres/mySQL client application.
> When using PostgreSQL as backend I can include Postgres server binary code
> in my application distro.
> When using mySQL my application setup can load mySQL server installation
> package from mysql website and execute it automatically.
> This minor difference is the only difference between Postgres/mySQL licenses
> in client application, right ?

Since mysql 4.0, their client libraries are under GPL not LGPL, which
means you're violating their license if your app is linked to the client
libraries.  Playing games with not distributing the server doesn't get
you out of that.  What you're doing is *exactly* what they want you to
buy a license for, and if they felt like coming after you I think they
could enforce it in court.