Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

От Brad Nicholson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 21:39 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jignesh Shah wrote:

> > > Ah, very good point. ?I have added a C comment to clarify why this is
> > > the current behavior; ?attached and applied.
> > >
> > > --
> > > ?Bruce Momjian ?<bruce@momjian.us> ? ? ? ?http://momjian.us
> > > ?EnterpriseDB ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? http://enterprisedb.com
> >

> > Though has anybody seen a behaviour where synchronous_commit=off is
> > slower than synchronous_commit=on  ? Again there are two cases here
> > one with O_* flag and other with f*sync flags. But I had seen that
> > behavior with PostgreSQL 9.0 beta(2 I think) though havent really
> > investigated it much yet .. (though now I dont remember which
> > wal_sync_method flag) . Just curious if anybody has seen that
> > behavior..
>
> I have trouble believing how synchronous_commit=off could be slower than
> 'on'.

I wonder if it could be contention on wal buffers?

Say I've turned synchronous_commit off, I drive enough traffic fill up
my wal_buffers.  I assume that we would have to start writing buffers
down to disk before allocating to the new process.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106