Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 17:39 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> >> hmm not sure that is what fujii tried to say - I think his point was
> >> that in the original case we would have serialized all the operations
> >> (first write+sync on the master, network afterwards and write+sync on
> >> the slave) and now we could try parallelizing by sending the wal before
> >> we have synced locally.
> >
> > Well, we're already not waiting for fsync, which is the slowest part.
>
> No, currently walsender waits for fsync.
>
> Walsender tries to send WAL up to xlogctl->LogwrtResult.Write. OTOH,
> xlogctl->LogwrtResult.Write is updated after XLogWrite() performs fsync.
> As the result, walsender cannot send WAL not fsynced yet. We should
> update xlogctl->LogwrtResult.Write before XLogWrite() performs fsync
> for 9.0?
>
> But that change would cause the problem that Robert pointed out.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-06/msg00670.php

ISTM you just defined some clear objectives for next work.

Copying the data from WAL buffers is mostly irrelevant. The majority of
time is lost waiting for fsync. The biggest issue is about how to allow
WAL write and WALSender to act concurrently and have backend wait for
both.

Sure, copying data from wal_buffers will be faster still, but it will
cause you to address some subtle data structure locking operations that
we could solve at a later time. And it still gives the problem of how
the master resets itself if the standby really is ahead.

-- Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.comPostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services