Re: Stefan's bug (was: max_standby_delay considered harmful)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Stefan's bug (was: max_standby_delay considered harmful)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié may 12 20:48:41 -0400 2010:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am wondering if we are not correctly handling the case where we get
> > a shutdown request while we are still in the PM_STARTUP state.  It
> > looks like we might go ahead and switch to PM_RECOVERY and then
> > PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT without noticing the shutdown.  There is some
> > logic to handle the shutdown when the startup process exits, but if
> > the startup process never exits it looks like we might get stuck.
>
> I can reproduce the behavior Stefan is seeing consistently using the
> attached patch.
>
> W1: postgres -D ~/pgslave
> W2: pg_ctl -D ~/pgslave stop

If there's anything to learn from this patch, is that sleep is
uninterruptible on some platforms.  This is why sleeps elsewhere are
broken down in loops, sleeping in small increments and checking
interrupts each time.  Maybe some of the sleeps in the new HS code need
to be handled this way?