Re: primary/secondary/master/slave/standby

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: primary/secondary/master/slave/standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 19:33 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The server's messages and the documentation uses all of these terms in
> mixed ways.  Maybe we could decide on some preferred terminology and
> adjust the existing texts.  Ideas?

Never user the term "secondary" myself.

I deliberately use "standby" rather than "slave", to differentiate
between an exact replica and a synchronised copy (respectively).

I use the terms "primary" and "master" more freely but generally try to
use primary/standby and master/slave together. If you wanted to move to
just one, it would be "master", though we'd need to have a good
explanation of "primary" in the index.