Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On lör, 2010-05-01 at 17:26 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am unclear why it would be in /bin if it requires 15 steps to run
> and is run only once by only some users.  It seems natural
> for /contrib, like pgcrypto.

Well, pg_resetxlog is also rarely run by most users.  It started in
contrib but was later moved to bin in order to show that it is fully
supported.

Also, I think the 15 steps are a bit inflated.  Several of those steps
are about building and installing various pieces of software.  If you
count that way, using PostgreSQL itself might also require about 12
steps.  In a packaged environment that allows side-by-side installation
of major versions (such as Debian or Windows), you need about 4 or 5
manual steps, and with a small script layer you need only 1 or 0.