Re: Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement

От Steve T
Тема Re: Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Mike/venkat
Sorry, you're right.
update blanktable  b
set recno = b.recno
where b.recno = b.recno;

seems to work ok, but if I change that as below, the error occurs:
update blanktable  b
set b.recno = b.recno
where b.recno = b.recno;
ERROR:  column "b" of relation "blanktable" does not exist
LINE 2: set b.recno = b.recno
            ^

So that would imply that simply setting 'name' in Venkat's example (rather than x.name) should work ok.

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 17:42 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
On 9 March 2010 16:03, Steve T <steve@retsol.co.uk> wrote:

> Venkat
> Shouldn't the expression have an 'as'?
>
> IE
> UPDATE mytable AS x
> SET x.name = 'asdf'
> WHERE x.no = 1

AS doesn't make a difference.  It's optional.

I don't know why the above doesn't work.  I've encountered something
in the past which may be related:
   SELECT LOWER(SPLIT_PART(something, '^', 3)) AS blah   FROM mytable   WHERE something IS NOT NULL   AND LOWER(SPLIT_PART(something, '^', 3)) <> ''   AND other = 123;

This works, but what I want to do is the following:
   SELECT LOWER(SPLIT_PART(something, '^', 3)) AS blah   FROM mytable   WHERE something IS NOT NULL   AND blah <> ''   AND other = 123;

This does not work and I don't know why not.

The error message is:

ERROR:  column "blah" does not exist
LINE 4: AND blah <> ''           ^

which is not exactly the same as the error Venkat is getting, but it's
pretty close.

P.S.  Venkat, it is called "PostgreSQL" or "Postgres".  Not "Postgre".

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot@gmail.com>

Steve Tucknott
ReTSol Ltd

DDI:         01323 488548

Сообщение: Re: Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement
Сообщение: Re: Urgent help needed- alias name in update statement