Re: db size and VACUUM ANALYZE

От Joao Ferreira gmail
Тема Re: db size and VACUUM ANALYZE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 18:43 +0100, Marcin Krol wrote:
> Amitabh Kant wrote:
> > You need to do VACUUM FULL ANALYZE to claim the disk space, but this
> > creates a exclusive lock on the tables.
> >
> > See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-vacuum.html
>
> Aha!
>
> OK but why did the performance degrade so much? The same reason -- lack
> of autovacuuming/vacuum full?

if the application makes use of INDEXes then REINDEX will also play an
important role.... in that case REINDEXING your indexes once in a while
may give you imediate improvements in performance (may give... may not
give.... depends)

moreover, you should expect that in a few days/weeks/months the database
size can (probably will) grow up again... it's the way pg works

try using autovacuum.... if you are already using it you can make it
more agressive by decreasing the thresholds and so on....

Joao