Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Дата
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 16:22 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Might it not be simpler to add a parameter onto pg_standby?
> > We send %s to tell pg_standby the standby_mode of the server which is
> > calling it so it can decide how to act in each case.
>
> That would work too, but it doesn't seem any simpler to me. On the contrary.

It would mean that pg_standby would act appropriately according to the
setting of standby_mode. So you wouldn't need multiple examples of use,
it would all just work whatever the setting of standby_mode. Nice simple
entry in the docs.

We've said we need a script and pg_standby is it. Having a second
script, pg_standby2, rather than adding something to the existing tools
just seems confusing and easier to get wrong.

I'm happy to do the patch if you like.