Re: Parameter name standby_mode

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 13:16 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> If they want to implement the warm standby using the (new) built-in
> logic to keep retrying restore_command, they would set
> standby_mode='on'. standby_mode='on' doesn't imply streaming replication.

The docs say "If this parameter is on, the streaming replication is
enabled". So who is wrong?

ISTM that Joachim's viewpoint is right and that most people will be
confused about this.

I think we need something named more intuitively. Something that better
describes what action (i.e. a verb) will occur when this is set.

Suggestions: streaming_replication = on
We may need to split out various complexities into multiple parameters,
or have valued parameters, e.g. standby_mode = REPLICA.