Re: Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 20:49 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'm a little worried the feature set of streaming rep isn't any better
> > than what we have already.
>
> Huh? Are you thinking of the "Record-based Log Shipping" described in
> the manual, using a program to poll pg_xlogfile_name_offset() in a tight
> loop, as a replacement for streaming replication? First of all, that
> requires a big chunk of custom development, so it's a bit of a stretch
> to say we have it already.

It's been part of Skytools for years now...

> Secondly, with that method, the standby still
>  still be replaying the WAL one file at a time, which makes a difference
> with Hot Standby.

I'm not attempting to diss Streaming Rep, or anyone involved. What has
been done is good internal work. I am pointing out and requesting that
we should have a little more added before we stop for this release.