Re: Reg: SQL Query for Postgres 8.4.3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Reg: SQL Query for Postgres 8.4.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Kevin Grittner
> <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
>> We have maintained nonstandard behavior in the past for
>> compatibility reasons, so it's a fair question; however, I'm
>> inclined toward the standard on this one.

> In a case like this, it seems unlikely that someone would be counting
> on a negative value to throw an error, so I tend to regard doing
> something else as an extension of the standard rather than a deviation
> from it.  But I don't have strong feelings about it.

The reason we changed it is that our other versions of substring()
already had the spec-required behavior of throwing error for negative
length.  Only the bit/varbit implementation was out of step.

The OP did not state that this behavioral change broke his application,
anyway.  I suspect the actual subtext is that he's poking into the
vulnerability report that was issued against the unpatched code.