Logging (was Re: PostgreSQL 7.0-2 RPMset released.)

От Tom Lane
Тема Logging (was Re: PostgreSQL 7.0-2 RPMset released.)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> The real problem with redirecting the postmaster output is the issue
> of log rolling, which is impossible to do in the 'classic'
> stderr/stdout redirect UNLESS you throw down postmaster when rolling
> the log (unless you know a trick I don't).

Yes.  I think ultimately we will have to do some logging support code of
our own to make this work the way we want.  My thought at the moment is
there's nothing wrong with logging to stderr, as long as there's some
code somewhere that periodically closes stderr and reopens it to a new
log file.  There needn't be a lot of code involved, we just need a
well-thought-out spec for how it should work.  Comments anyone?