Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: invalid byte sequence for encoding
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 00:36 +0200, Daniel Schuchardt wrote:
> I know you are true with definition's and standards, however, that code
> works for about 6 years ;o)
>
> Well, we will change our parser behavoir. We will check out that
> standard_conforming_strings parameter too but i see a lot of problems
> with our backup and restore system (plain text pg_dump's) and other points.
>
> All in all will Postgres81 understand this E'' (\\0) escape chars too?
> Or do we have to make a several version for older Postgres versions?

What I don't understand about your issue is that '\0' should never have
worked in the first place.  You can expect it to work in the future, but
in old versions this should always have created a problem, either a
rejection or perhaps a truncated string.  So we're probably not seeing
the entire chain of processing here.