Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 22:15 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com>:

> >> it's possible - so format tags doesn't mean data type, but it means
> >> "try to drow it as type" - etc invisible explicit casting.
> >

> > what is the difference between these two ?
>
> first is coming from C and has C semantic - there is only one possible
> tag (without binary compatible types) - you cannot use %s for numbers,
> and %d for strings is some specific value.

Similar functionality in python allows %s for any type (it will just get
string representation of the value), but not vice-versa:

>>> '%s' % 10
'10'
>>> '%d' % 10
'10'
>>> '%d' % '10'
Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: %d format: a number is required, not str

More restrictive than Tom's proposal.

> sprintf("%d", "10") - show address of static string "10"
>
> second is Tom's proposal. More dynamic. Tag specify target type.
>
> so sprintf('%d', '10') show 10 with possible width manipulation operations

this would be interesting for cases like

sprintf('%.2f', '3.1415927')

but I'd frefer here python-like sematics, where you need to make
explicit casts, i.e.

sprintf('%.2f', '3.1415927'::float)

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability   Services, Consulting and Training

Сообщение: Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types
Сообщение: Re: RfD: more powerful "any" types