Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Fixing backslash dot for COPY FROM...CSV
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Sutou Kouhei <kou@clear-code.com> writes:
> I read through this thread. It seems that this thread
> discuss 2 things:
> 1. \. in CSV mode
> 2. \. in non-CSV mode
> Recent messages discussed mainly 2. but how about create a
> separated thread for 2.? Because the original mail focused
> on 1. and it seems that we can handle them separately.

Well, we don't want to paint ourselves into a corner by considering
only part of the problem.

What I'm currently thinking is that we can't remove the special
treatment of \. in text mode.  It's not arguably a bug, because
it's been part of the specification since day one; and there
are too many compatibility risks in pg_dump and elsewhere.
I think we should fix it so that \. that's not alone on a line
throws an error, but I wouldn't go further than that.

> How about introducing a new COPY option that controls
> whether "\." is ignored or not instead of this approach?

No thanks.  Once we create such an option we'll never be
able to get rid of it.