Re: Bit by "commands ignored until end of transaction block" again

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Bit by "commands ignored until end of transaction block" again
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 17:06 +1000, Chris wrote:
> Joshua Tolley wrote:
> >> "Transaction block", then, if you insist.

> >> Savepoints can only be used inside transaction blocks.  My function
> >> has no idea whether it's being called inside a transaction block.
> >>
> >> From inside a transaction block, my function would need to call
> >> SAVEPOINT/RELEASE SAVEPOINT.
> >>
> >> If it's not in a transaction block, it needs to call BEGIN/COMMIT
> >> instead.  SAVEPOINT will fail with "SAVEPOINT can only be used in
> >> transaction blocks".
> >
> > Have you tried this? I expect if you give it a shot, you'll find you don't
> > actually have this problem. Really, everything is always in a transaction.

[snip]

> You haven't explicitly started a transaction, therefore savepoints won't
> work.

True. However, he's talking about code within a PL/PgSQL function. To a
PL/PgSQL function there is NO difference between:

begin;
select my_function();
commit;

and a standalone:

select my_function();

in both cases the statement executes in a transaction, and in both cases
individual statements within the function are within the same
transaction. That's why any function can EXCEPTION blocks, etc, which
rely on savepoints.

--
Craig Ringer

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: