Re: Overhead of union versus union all

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Overhead of union versus union all
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 09:28 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > discard
> > > disjoint.
> > >
> > > I assume we would still need the distinct removal step;  we just avoid
> > > the sort/hash.
> >
> > I mean it seems possible to prove that the distinct removal step is not
> > necessary, by proving that the various sub-queries are already disjoint.
> > It's a common manual optimization, so automating it seems a reasonable
> > future goal.
>
> I am confused what sub-queries produce _distinct_ output.  I know there
> are some that produce _ordered_ output.

None, that was not my point.

If you have a query like this

 Select ..., status, ...
 where status = '1'
 union
 Select ..., status, ...
 where status = '2';

or a query like this

 Select '1', ...
 union
 Select '2', ...
 ;

or a query like this

 Select '1', ...
 union
 Select status, ...
 where status != '1';
 ;

then it is clear that we could automatically prove that the the distinct
step is redundant and so we could either hash or sort. This is the same
as replacing the UNION with UNION ALL.

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: Overhead of union versus union all
Сообщение: Re: Overhead of union versus union all