Re: PLPERL function error - utf-8 to iso8859-1

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PLPERL function error - utf-8 to iso8859-1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> Trying to create a plperl function to strip non-friendly mainframe
> characters from a string.  However, when I try to add the Trademark symbol
> (™) as a replace criteria, PG spits back an error:
> ERROR:  Could not convert UTF-8 to ISO8859-1

AFAICT this means that the trademark symbol is not in the character set
that you've specified to be used in the database; accordingly there's no
need to try to prevent it from being stored...

Perhaps you should have selected the database encoding to be the same as
what you're using on the client side.