Re: BUG #16492: DROP VIEW IF EXISTS error

От Nina Marlow
Тема Re: BUG #16492: DROP VIEW IF EXISTS error
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
> the most likely effect of such a change is that we fix no scripts, while
> breaking any scripts that were dependent on the existing behavior.

As the documentation seems to always have said that "IF EXISTS" doesn't raise an error, there's no script that could
getbroken.

On the other side, currently I currently don't see a way of dropping a view or table without knowing its exact type.

So to drop a *view*, I need to be sure that there is no *table* with the same name. I have to check that first before
usingDROP. But that makes IF EXISTS more or less useless because I might just as well check whether the view exists and
dependingon the result either do a DROP or not.

> What I'd prefer to see, I think, is a command DROP RELATION [IF EXISTS]

If the already implemented DROPs behaved as documented, you'd not need an additional third statement. It'd be just
identicalto

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS
DROP VIEW IF EXISTS