Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: postmaster recovery and automatic restart suppression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 15:48 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> My first reaction on hearing the request was that it might have *some*
> use; but in trying to recall any restart where it is what I would have
> wanted, I come up dry.  I haven't even really come up with a good
> hypothetical use case.  But I get the feeling the OP has had some
> problem this is attempting to address.  I'm just not clear what that
> is.

I think we need to answer why shutting the database down is insufficient
response to the need to having it be shutdown in the event of failover.
It always sounds neat to have a new feature, but often we already have
it. (I'm sure I'm as guilty of that as the next person).