Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
>> I disagree on _deadcode.  While the code is rotted, it does implement
>> some full functions that have no other history, like verion.c for
>> versioning and xfunc for expensive functions.  Yanking them means we can
>> never know what they did.

> even 'yanked' code is still in the cvs repository ...

Precisely.  Seems to me we ought to think about our code maintenance
methods with knowledge that back versions will be available from CVS.
Keeping stuff in the current tree has some advantages if it's stuff
you think you might want again in the near term, but I think it's
the wrong way to deal with stuff that we're only keeping for historical
purposes.  For example, if I wanted to try to understand the xfunc
code, I'd really have to go back to the last version where it worked;
the partially-patched files sitting in _deadcode would most likely be
more confusing than helpful...