Re: xpath processing brain dead

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: xpath processing brain dead
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 13:51 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > What I have proposed for 8.3 should not break a single case that currently
> > behaves usefully. If anyone has a counter-example please show it.
> >
> > What I have proposed for 8.4 possibly would break current "useful" behaviour
> > (FSVO "useful"), but should be done anyway on correctness grounds.
>
> I dunno, aren't XML document fragments sort of a pretty common case?

I'd rather argue that xml datatype should not even accept anything but
complete xml documents. Same as int field does not accept int[].

Or maybe we rather need separate xmldocument and xmlforest/xmlfragments
types in next releases and leave the "base" xml as it is but deprecated
due to inability to fix it without breaking backwards compatibility.

--
Hannu Krosing   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability   Services, Consulting and Training