Re: High cpu usage after many inserts

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: High cpu usage after many inserts
Дата
Re: High cpu usage after many inserts  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 09:21 +0900, Jordan Tomkinson wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca>
> wrote:
>         * Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> [090201 00:00]:
>
>         > Shouldn't someone have ranted about RAID-5 by this point in
>         the thread?
>

>         What?  Sorry, I wasn't paying attention...
>
>         You mean someone's actually still using RAID-5?
>
>         ;-)
>
> What exactly is wrong with RAID5 and what should we have gone with?

RAID5 outside of RAID 0 is the worst possible RAID level to run with a
database. (of the commonly used raid level's that is).

It is very, very slow on random writes which is what databases do.
Switch to RAID 10.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drkae

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: High cpu usage after many inserts
Сообщение: Re: High cpu usage after many inserts