Re: postgres --help-config

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postgres --help-config
Дата
Re: postgres --help-config  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> ... Will Red Hat be upset if we
> leave it unchanged for 7.4.X and rip this out and redo it in 7.5?

It'd be better if we could get it right the first time, with the
understanding that the output format is not very negotiable at this
late hour.  But as best I can tell, most of the unhappiness is with the
design of the switch set, which is not something I want to defend in
detail.  There's a lot there that isn't needed for the RHDB tool as I
understand it, and I think that altering the switches used to get the
output that the tool does need would still be a feasible change from the
tool's point of view.

I would be in favor of simplifying the supported switch set to the
minimum needed by Red Hat's tool (the equivalent of -G -M if I
understood Fernando correctly), and re-adding complexity in future
when and if it's shown to be needed.  But we need to make a decision
about this now.  Preferably yesterday.