Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 11:20 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 10:36 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> If archive recovery fails after it reaches the last valid record
> >> in the last unfilled WAL segment, subsequent recovery might cause
> >> the following fatal error. This is because minSafeStartPoint indicates
> >> the end of the last unfilled WAL segment which subsequent recovery
> >> cannot reach. Is this bug? (I'm not sure how to fix this problem
> >> because I don't understand yet why minSafeStartPoint is required.)

> > I think you're right. We need a couple of changes to avoid confusing
> > messages.
>
> Hmm, we could update minSafeStartPoint in XLogFlush instead. That was
> suggested when the idea of minSafeStartPoint was first thought of.
> Updating minSafeStartPoint is analogous to flushing WAL:
> minSafeStartPoint must be advanced to X before we can flush a data pgse
> with LSN X. To avoid excessive controlfile updates, whenever we update
> minSafeStartPoint, we can update it to the latest WAL record we've read.
>
> Or we could simply ignore that error if we've reached minSafeStartPoint
> - 1 segment, assuming that even though minSafeStartPoint is higher, we
> can't have gone past the end of valid WAL records in the last segment in
> previous recovery either. But that feels more fragile.

My proposed fix for Fujii-san's minSafeStartPoint bug is to introduce
another control file state DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY_BASE. This would show
that we are still recovering up to the point of the end of the base
backup. Once we reach minSafeStartPoint we then switch state to
DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY, and set baseBackupReached boolean, which then
enables writing new minSafeStartPoints when we open new WAL files in the
future.

We then have messages only when in DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY_BASE state
 if (XLByteLT(EndOfLog, ControlFile->minRecoveryPoint) &&     ControlFile->state == DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY_BASE) {   if
(reachedStopPoint)/* stopped because of stop request */     ereport(FATAL,         (errmsg("requested recovery stop
pointis before end time of

backup dump")));   else /* ran off end of WAL */       ereport(FATAL,       (errmsg("WAL ends before end time of backup
dump")));}