Re: pg_upgrade project status

От Zdenek Kotala
Тема Re: pg_upgrade project status
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 21:13 +0200:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 15:54 +0100:
> >
> >> I have a hard time thinking that we'll have wasted a lot of time on
> >> first doing a perl implementation if we have to rewrite it in C later.
> >> The other way around would be a waste though. The amount of time spent
> >> on the perl implementation I expect to be a *lot* less than the
> >> combination of thinking up the *way* to do it in general and the C
> >> implementation time.
> >
> > Agree with Magnus. I'm happy with korn shell for now :-). And we need
> > better solution anyway for future releases. Current approach does not
> > support e.g. dropped column.
>
> FWIW, pg-migrator is written in C, and last I looked it's roughly on par
> feature-wise. Perhaps Zdenek can list what exactly the differences are,
> so that we can figure out how much effort it would be to just fill the
> gaps in pg-migrator.

The reason why I wrote own script was that I found lot of small issues
which needed to solve. OK finally maybe fixing them could take short
time, but I did not thing this one year ago :(.

OK there is what I remember:

The main difference is interaction with postgreSQL - stoping/starting
and so on. IIRC pg migrator does not do that. pg_upgrade script sets
trust permisions on database to perform upgrade and so on.

The migration process is mostly identical. if IIRC pg_migrator ignores
locales - it fails when is not run under English locales and also initdb
is not called with correct parameters.

Check also freezing database. I think it is not correctly performed.

Remove all ANSI color staff. You see nothing when you run it on black
background :(.

I guess, Tablespaces are handled differently. I try to keep data on same
mounpoint.

And last I think license is not BSD, I don't know how big problem it is.
Zdenek